Biography of William Heeser
Big River Township, Mendocino County, CA Biographies





William Heeser, The oldest son of Eberhard and Julie (Hensler) Heeser was born in Coblenz Rhenish, Prussia, Germany, on the 28th day of August, 1822. He attended the public schools till he was about eight years of age, after which he received private tuition at home on account of ill health. From thirteen to fifteen years of age he attended a private boarding school at Neuwiedt in the same Province, after which he worked in his father's counting room. In 1842 his father died, and in 1843 he came to the United States, landing in Baltimore in November, 1843. After a stay of about a month in that city, he went to Kentucky, merchandising for several years in Providence, Hopkins county, in that State. In the spring of 1847 he went to Germany on a visit, returning in July of the same year, and then moved to Wisconsin, merchandising for sometime at Benton, and then at Elk Grote, Lafayette county, from where he moved to Cordova, Rock Island county, Illinois, in the fall of 1848, engaging in merchandising there. In the spring of 1850 he crossed the plains with a horse team, arriving in California about the first of August, 1850. Selling the team at Coloma:, he came to San Francisco, where he was engaged in merchandising till 1854, when he went to Sierra county, returning to San Francisco the following year, and after a short stay moved on to a ranch in Napa county, residing there about two years, when he sold his lands, returned to San Francisco, and from there went up in the steamer Goliath to Mendocino, in Mendocino county, arriving at that place on September 11, 1857. There he forthwith purchased a lot, built a store, and engaged in merchandising for several years. In the spring of 1858 he, together with his brother, purchased a farm adjacent to the town, purchasing also his brother's interest in 1865, and continued farming on the land up to the present time, but at once adopting a plan, under which he gradually opened streets and sold town lots as the demand required. In the fall of 1858 he was elected Justice of the Township, and subsequently appointed a Notary Public, the first office he held for six consecutive years, after which he served three years as Supervisor of the county, succeeding which he served four years more as Justice, serving another term of three years as Supervisor in 1877, '78, and '79. The office of Notary he held, with the exception of an interval of one or two terms, up to the present time. By the force of circumstances he was thrown into the conveyancing and office business, engaging a great portion of his time In 1870 he organized the Bank of Mendocino as a Mutual Savings Bank, and in 1871 the Mendocino Discount Bank, to supply the business not within the legitimate sphere of the former, both incorporated under the laws of the State, and has been acting since, first as President and subsequently as Secretary of both banks. Having in the fall of 1877 started the Mendocino Beacon as a weekly newspaper in the town, he purchased in June, 1878, the interest of his partner Wm. H. Meacham, and thenceforward ran the paper in. his own name. On the 18th day of December, 1865, he married Laura A. Nelson, a native of Bangor, Maine. They have one child living, August Alfred, born February 5, 1877.

From:
History of Mendocino County, California
Alley, Bowen & Co., Publishers
San Francisco, California 1880


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Mendocino County, CA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012