Isaac Shaver. The subject of this sketch was born in Wayne county, New York, July 10, 1828. He resided at his
birth place until the Spring of 1834, in which he emigrated with his parents to Jackson county, Michigan, and in
the public schools of that place received his education. On March 25, 1852, on account of failing health, he, along
with his two brothers, Aaron and Jacob, started with teams across the plains for California. On the journey Mr.
Shaver was in. succession attacked with measles and cholera, but happily over riding these plagues, after a tedious
voyage reached Hangtown, now Placerville, on Septembers 13th of that year. Near this point he commenced mining,
which' he continued with mixed success for six years. In 1858 he began the lumber business at Sly Rock, El Dorado
county, and there erected a forty horse power steam mill, with a capacity of twenty thousand feet a day. Here he
continued until 1864. In July of that year, having previously purchased the mill property of Dell & Holland,
he located in San Rafael, took possession of his newly acquired interests and ran the mill for four years. About
this period he established a lumber yard at Ross' Landing, whence he supplied the city of San Rafael and vicinity.
In 1868 he moved his mills to Nicasio township, one mile from the village of that name, and there carried on his
operations for four years. In this year he also moved his lumber yard to San Rafael, where, in 1872, he erected
a planing mill. In 1876 he constructe I the mill near White ranch, Nicasio township, which is still running. At
the time of Mr. Shaver's coming to San Rafael, he adopted the system of furnishing those who had vacant lots, and
wished to build on them, with lumber. Thus, many of those who own houses in the town today have obtained them in
this manner. As soon as his planing mill was erected, he too embarked in the building of houses, which he has continued
with such perseverance that now he owns upwards of seventy structures in San Rafael, nearly all of which are rented.
In 1879 the property known as the Esperanza House came into his possession. In September he commenced building
and repairing the establishment, which will prove both an advantage and an ornament to the town. Married, in 1860,
Maria M. Kiler, who died six years later, leaving him his two eldest daughters, Minnie and Ettie, after which he
married his present wife, Hatty, by whom he has two daughters, Clara and Ivy, and two boys, Ray and Glen.
History of Marin County, California
Alley, Bowen & Co., Publishers
San Francisco, California 1880
Marin County, CA
Names A to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium