WOODS, JAMES LORIMER. The son of Rev. James and Eliza Ann Woods, was born in Madison, Florida, October 19, 1846.
He is the third of a family of eight. He is a pioneer, having come to California with his father's family in 1849.
His home for many years was in Sonoma County, where he received his education and made his start in life. For two
years, in his turn, he was farmer upon his father's place, then received his academical education at Healdsburg;
and at eighteen past began life with teaching district school. He studied law with his maternal uncle, Colonel
S. W. Williams, of the law firm of Clark, Williams & Martin, of Little Rock, Arkansas. In the spring of 1868,
in his twenty second year, he was admitted to the bar of the Supreme Court of Arkansas, and to the United States
Circuit Court of the Eastern District of Arkansas. In the winter of 1869 he was admitted in the Supreme Court of
California, and in the United States Circuit Court, District of California. Having opened an office in San Francisco,
he was forced to relinquish the practice on account of threatened pulmonary affections, caused by the coast climate.
Upon restoration to health, his convictions of duty were changed, and he began the study of theology. Upon the
organization of the San Francisco Theological Seminary of the Presbyterian Church, in 1871, he entered it for the
completion of his course of study, and was its first enrolled student. He was married Sept. 17, 1872, to Miss Susan
T. Bradley, of Sonoma County, and in December of the same year removed to Lake County. In the spring of 1873, he
was regularly ordained as a Presbyterian minister. With some interruption he labored for five years in Lake County.
The churches at Kelseyville and Upper Lake were secured during his ministry. The organization of the Second Presbyterian
Church of Clear Lake was effected through his instrumentality. Having been compelled to cease his labors through
ill health in the fall of 1878, he, after a year's rest, accepted a call for six months to the Presbyterian Church
of Dixon. His old troubles returned in a worse form, suffering an attack of hemorrhage of the lungs. In May, 1880,
he returned to Lakeport with the conviction of being physically unable for the future work of the minister, and
satisfied that the salubrious climate of Lake County, if any, would prolong his life and usefulness. In the latter
part of June he enrolled his name as an attorney in the Superior Court, and is now engaged in the practice of law.
History of Napa and Lake Counties, California
Slocum, Bowen & Co., Publishers
San Francisco, California 1881
Lake County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium