TREMPER, L. B. Was born in Niagara County, New York, January 24, 1825. Here he resided with his parents on a
farm until 1844, when the family moved to Lake County, Indiana. Here the father engaged in farming, and the boy
worked at farming, milling and blacksmith until late in 1849, when he went to Galena, Illinois. Here he joined
a party of five others, and in the spring of 1850 they started across the plains, bound for California. They came
with horse teams, and arrived in El Dorado County July 31st of that year. Here he engaged in blacksmithing until
September 1st, when he sold out his shop and tried his luck at mining. He followed it for four months, and when
he "cleaned up" found that he had made $35. He says that the "Biggins" were good enough, but
he did not understand how to work them. He then engaged as boss of a gang of hands to conduct a "Long Tom"
for $2 per day, which he followed for one month He then helped to construct the first quartz mill ever put up in
California, it being located on Mathews Creek, El Dorado County. In the fall of 1851 he was working at getting
out timber at $8 per day, when he met with a serious accident, the cutting of his knee, which laid him up for fourteen
months, and from the effects of which he has suffered to this day. In the fall of 1852 he opened a blacksmith shop
in El Dorado County, where he remained about three months. He then again engaged in mining until the spring of
1854. He then went to Shasta County, and from there to Arcata, and then back to Weaverville, where he was sick
with the chills. He then mined a little while, and then went to Tehama and bought a ranch in partnership with two
others. At the end of four months he sold out to his partners, and returned to El Dorado County and engaged in
mining until 1858. He then went to Napa County and opened a blacksmith shop, which he run until the fall of 1859.
He then went to San Jose and worked at his trade for about three months. He then, in the spring of 1860, came to
Lake County and opened a blacksmith shop in Coyote Valley, where he worked until the spring of 1861. He then came
to Lower Lake and opened a shop, which he run for seventeen years; since which time he has been engaged in farming.
He has one hundred and sixty acres where he resides, in the environs of the town of Lower Lake, and one hundred
and sixty acres about five miles above that town. In 1872 he paid a visit to Indiana, being gone about four months.
Married, May 23, 1863, Miss Matilda Slater, a native of Illinois. They have five living children: William G., Christopher,
Diantha, Nellie and Julia; and have lost one, Henry.
History of Napa and Lake Counties, California
Slocum, Bowen & Co., Publishers
San Francisco, California 1881
Lake County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium