FRANK GRIFFITH, V. S.
The importance of a business or profession is in a very large measure determined by its beneficence or usefulness.
As a live stock inspector for many years, Frank Griffith has performed a very notable service for his fellow citizens
and the character of his work has been such as to win the commendation of all who know him. As a veterinary, Dr.
Griffith is skilled and conscientious, and has long stood among the leaders of his profession in this section of
the state. He was born about twelve miles north of Merced, Merced county, California, on the 4th day of October,
1850, the son of Dr. Joshua and Frances (Aries) Griffith. Joshua Griffith, who was an easterner by nativity, was
a pioneer of California, coming by the way of Mexico, and as early as 1848 was engaged in placer mining in Mariposa
county. Later he engaged in farming and built the first flouring mill in the San Joaquin valley. While in Mercer
county, in which he finally located, he resumed the practice of medicine, which profession he had followed before
coming west, and he gained a high place in the confidence and esteem of his fellowmen. When he first settled there
his land was under the control of Mexico, but on the 9th of September, 1850, he received a grant for the land where
his home stood and this remained in the family until about fifteen years ago, when it was sold.
Frank Griffith received such educational training as was possible in the primitive schools of those early days
here. He attended the old Snelling school, in Merced county, but did not allow himself to be bound by his meager
opportunity there, for he persisted in his search for knowledge by reading and studying everything he could get
hold of. He spent his youthful days on the farm and was thrown much with live stock, where he probably received
his first inspiration for that branch of science in which he has specialized since. Not having the chance to go
to a technical school, he studied privately, and under his father's direction, and eventually appeared before the
state veterinary board for examination and was granted a certificate in 1901. In 1870 Dr. Griffith came to Hanford,
remaining but a short time, but in 1871 he came again. Some time later, in 1875, he went to Grayeville and opened
a meat market, from which he furnished meat for the construction gangs who were engaged in the building of the
railroad through this section. From there Dr. Griffith went to Lemoore, where he served as constable. During this
period the Doctor was also practicing his profession and was gaining not only splendid experience, but was also
acquiring a reputation as a careful and successful veterinarian. From Lemoore he went to Visalia, where he remained
four years, serving as deputy sheriff, after which he spent six years in Santa Cruz. In 1891 Dr. Griffith came
to Hanford and has since made this his home. It is a notable coincidence that in each place he has lived he has
served as live stock inspector and since 1894 has served in that position continuously in Kings county. A man of
many fine qualities of character, he has shown a public spirited attitude toward all movements for the betterment
of the community along material, civic or moral lines, and stands high in the regard and esteem of his fellow citizens.
The doctor owns a valuable ranch adjoining Hanford, also other agricultural land in Kings county.
Dr. Griffith was married in San Francisco, to Miss Harriet A. Moore, the daughter of J. D. Moore, a native of Ohio,
and a pioneer of Nevada. Politically, Dr. Griffith has always given his support to the republican party and at
one time served as deputy United States marshal. He is deeply interested in the history of this locality and has
a fine collection of Indian relics, embracing some very rare specimens.
History of Tulare County, California
By: Kathleen Edwards Small
Kings County, California
By: J. Larry Smith
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium