Biography of John E. Davis
Imperial County, CA Biographies





JOHN E. DAVIS. - Thoroughly identified with the business growth and prosperity of El Centro is John E. Davis, who takes an abiding interest in all that concerns the welfare and progress of the town. Mr. Davis has been actively engaged in the drug business since 1908, having the distinction of being longer identified with the drug business in the Valley than any other store. He has by hard work and good judgment made a financial success and has one of the most modern pharmacies in southern California. Mr. Davis was born in Salem, New Jersey, June 21, 1877, a son of Daniel T. and Ruth A. (Ayres) Davis. The subject of this review acquired his education in the public school of his native town. At an early age he went to work at the drug business, where he continued for a period of ten years and later studied and acquired his degree in chemistry and pharmacy in 1896, returning to the drug store where he served his apprenticeship. Mr. Davis took charge of the business and in 1899 he purchased the business from his former employer. Here he remained until 1902, when he disposed of the store and came to Los Angeles, California, owing to his health. After remaining here for a time Mr. Davis decided to return to the east, and after remaining there for a time he decided to cast his lot with the Golden State, where he could enjoy better health. In 1905 he settled on a ranch southeast of Holtville, where he remained until 1908, and finally regained his health. He came to El Centro and purchased the present drug store, where he has achieved success, and it has been gained by honorable and upright business dealings and. methods. Mr. Davis established the only drug store in Holtville, which he disposed of in 1912 to his brother, owing to his other interests which required his attention. He also has the distinction of erecting the first brick building in Seeley, where he established another drug store. The opportunities that Imperial County and California offer to men of enterprise and sterling worth are nowhere better exemplified than in the successful career of John E. Davis. Fraternally, he is a member of the K. of P., and is a charter member. He also holds membership in the B. P. O. E. and is a charter member, and at present is one of the trustees of that order. He is a. director of the El Centro National Bank and is a director of the El Centro Chamber of Commerce, having served as a director three terms. On December 14, 1898 Mr. Davis was united in marriage to Miss Henrietta B. Guest, a daughter of Charles B. and Louise B. Guest, of Salem, New Jersey. Mrs. Davis' father was one of the prominent business men of his town, being identified with the hardware and plumbing business in Salem for forty years. Four children have blessed the union of Mr. and Mrs. Davis: Kennett, born in 1899, in the U. S. Navy Yeomen School; Miriam G., attending high school, was born in 1901; Henry and Helen are twins and were born in 1910, and were the first twins born in the city of El Centro.

From:
The History of Imperial County, California
Edited by: F. C. Farr
Elms and Franks, Publishers
Berkley, California 1918


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Imperial County, CA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012