FRANK PETERS. - From the Azores Islands Mr. Peters has come to make his home in Humboldt county, Cal., of which
state he has been a resident since the year 1874, never having regretted the change. Coming to this country with
almost nothing, in a financial way, he has made for himself a comfortable fortune, and is an enterprising, liberal
man, well liked in the vicinity where he resides, and blessed with an able helpmeet who has been an encouragement
and assistance to him all along.
Born in Manadas, Isle of St. George, in the Azores, December 4, 1851, Mr. Peters was the son of John and Marie
C. Peters, likewise natives of Manadas, where the father was an attorney, both parents now being deceased. Frank
was one of nine children, and the oldest of the family, of whom four have come to Humboldt county. John and William,
both dairymen, died in this county, and Antone now resides in Ferndale. Mr. Peters was educated in the public schools
at his home, remaining in that country until 1871, when he removed to Boston, Mass., securing employment near there
in farming and dairying until 1874, when, having heard and read good reports of Humboldt county, he determined
to try his fortune upon the Pacific coast. He was joined by two brothers, William and John, and together they came
to San Francisco, a journey of fourteen days, arriving there on April 24, 1874. Thence they made a three days'
trip on the steamer Pelican to Eureka, in Humboldt county, and from there came by a six horse stage to Ferndale,
which consumed an entire day. Mr. Peters' first employment in this state was at Peter Nissen's Whatcheer ranch
on Bear River ridge, which he reached by a long journey afoot by the Wildcat trail, carrying his valise with him.
After working for Mr. Nissen one season he was employed by D. A. Spear for eighteen months, after which he came
to Ferndale with his two brothers, who had also been working on Bear River ridge. They engaged in digging potatoes
at ten cents a sack, but in the same fall the three brothers purchased forty acres of wild land on Coffee creek,
paying $600 cash for it, building thereon a cabin and barn. There they remained two winters, during the first winter
hunting rabbits, duck and quail, Mr. Peters to this day well remembering the easy and carefree life they led, the
hunting providing for them plenty of good hearty food. Improving their ranch, they started a small dairy, John
being left in charge while William worked out during the busy seasons, during which time Mr. Peters was employed
two years on the dairy ranch of Nat Hurlbutt and five years in the same occupation with others. A period of seven
years was spent by him as a woodsman around Eureka in the employ of the Occidental Lumber Company under John Vance
and Herman Doe. Then, determining to engage in the dairy business on his own account, in the autumn of 1888 Mr.
Peters leased the O'Dell ranch at Capetown, consisting of four hundred fifteen acres, where he conducted a dairy
of sixty six cows, and a year later bought the place, making valuable improvements in the buildings and manufacturing
butter for the San Francisco market, continuing there in dairying and stock raising with notable success. In the
latter part of the year 1911 he rented his ranch to others and retired from active business, purchasing a residence
and three acres of property in Ferndale, where he now lives in the enjoyment of his retirement after a very energetic
and industrious career.
The marriage of Frank Peters took place in Eureka, Cal., November 7, 1888, uniting him with Miss Mary Ruther, who
was born in Texas, the daughter of Anthony and Mary Ruther. The Ruther family came to Napa county, Cal., via Panama,
in 1860, remaining three years; in the fall of 1863 coming to Humboldt county on the old sailing vessel Metropolis,
and made a twenty four days' journey to Eureka from San Francisco; and the father then engaged in dairying at Cape
Mendocino, and was later proprietor of the Ocean House, and the following year manager of the Centerville House.
He then purchased a ranch on Coffee creek, where his wife died some years afterward, after which he sold his ranch
and spent his time traveling. The daughter (Mrs. Peters) received her education in the public schools, and is now
the mother of one son, Fred Peters. For many years Mr. Peters was trustee of the Capetown school district, and
the fraternal associations with which he is connected are as follows: The Humboldt Lodge No. 77, I. O. O. F.; the
Veteran Odd Fellows Association, both in Eureka, and Humboldt Camp No. 228, W. O. W., Ferndale.
History of Humboldt County, California
With a Biographical Sketches
History by Leigh H. Irving
Historic Record Company
Los Angeles, California 1915
Humboldt County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium