Humboldt Brewing Company
Humboldt County, CA Biographies





HUMBOLDT BREWING COMPANY. - The history of the Humboldt Brewing Company dates back to experiences that involved its stockholders in financial losses and made the plant a losing factor in the industrial development of Eureka, but recent years have witnessed a change in the entire mode of operation and new owners with new methods of manufacture and with the most modern devices of equipment have transformed the hitherto unprofitable investment into a popular and profitable enterprise. The Humboldt Brewing Company is headed by the Zobeleins of Los Angeles, the officers being as follows: George Zobelein, president; Edward Zobelein, vice president; William Kramer, secretary; and Philip Zobelein, treasurer.

The early history of the brewery shows a frequent change of ownership and a complete lack of success. The first step toward later success occurred with the purchase of the plant, then known as the Eureka brewery and situated on First street, by John U. Haltinner, July 8, 1895, seven years after which A. Johnson became a partner. During the summer of 1904 Messrs. Palmatag and Cressman bought the grounds forming the site of the present brewery on Broadway. They began to build and had the brewery perhaps one half completed when discord arose between them and they sold out to Max Kuehnrich of Los Angeles, who purchased the plant. January 17, 1905, Messrs. Johnson and Haltinner, who owned two small brewing plants, sold them to Mr. Kuehnrich, and in 1905 the present company was incorporated and took over the plant. In 1907, when the Zobeleins acquired the Los Angeles Brewing Company plant, they also acquired the Humboldt Brewing Company plant. In March, 1911, John R. Hagen, after a long experience with the Los Angeles Brewing Company, brewers of the famous East Side beer, was transferred to Eureka and given charge of the plant, and since the advent of Mr. Hagen as manager the output has been increased and the business has doubled in volume, with every prospect for continued development under his capable supervision. Only one fourth of the capacity of fifty thousand barrels is in use at present, so that the plant will bear a remarkable expansion of business before its capacity will be exhausted, and there is every reason to believe that with such a manager as Mr. Hagen progress will be permanent and development assured. The company manufactures exclusively for wholesale and retail dealers in Humboldt county and bottlers and distributors elsewhere. Purity is the watchword of the concern and its manager has been called the "patron of purity" on account of his determination to turn out nothing but a pure product. He exercises the greatest care in purchasing malt or hops and in employing a competent brewer, nor is he less concerned as to the purity of the water used in the manufacture of the beer. To provide this requisite the company bored its own wells and regularly makes tests for the purpose of preserving the uniformity necessary to satisfy not only its own code of purity, but as well its maintenance of a commercial standard. Through the alert and efficient management, the plant has been developed from a losing proposition to a valuable unit in the industrial prosperity of Eureka.

From:
History of Humboldt County, California
With a Biographical Sketches
History by Leigh H. Irving
Historic Record Company
Los Angeles, California 1915


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Humboldt County, CA
Biographies

California
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012