FRANKLIN T. GEORGESON. - The people of Eureka recognize with satisfaction and not a little local pride that,
in the decision of Mr. Georgeson to engage in the practice of architectural engineering at this place, they have
regained to citizenship a native of Humboldt county, whose course of study in metropolitan environment afforded
him exceptional advantages and whose initial experiences in designing and drafting have indicated the possession
of talent developed beyond a suspicion of mediocrity. Although his prominence in the line of his specialty has
made him best known in the cities bordering San Francisco bay, he is becoming known here through professional acumen
as well as through the fact that he is the eldest son of former mayor Fred W. Georgeson and a grandson of the late
J. F. Thompson. From his earliest memories he has been familiar with Humboldt county. Here his early training was
received and it was not until after he was graduated from the Eureka High school with the class of 1906 that he
left his native locality with the intention of taking up special studies. It had been his ambition from early boyhood
to acquire a knowledge of architecture, for the designing of buildings and the drawing of plans fascinated him
in no small degree.
From the fall of 1906 until the spring of 1910 Mr. Georgeson was a student in the department of architecture, University
of California, and he was so thorough in his studies and so intelligent in grasping professional technicalities
that he was graduated with honors. At the same time the degree of Bachelor of Science in Architecture was conferred
upon him. Upon the completion of the regular course of four years he remained at the university for six months
of post graduate work. Meanwhile he had devoted his summer vacations to commercial work in the offices of various
architects in the bay cities. Often during the university terms he aided in offices of prominent architects and
thereby gained practical and profitable experience in his profession. Upon the completion of his post graduate
course he engaged in special work on eastern competition drawings, making Los Angeles his headquarters during the
time. Returning to San Francisco, he entered the office of Walter H. Parker, famous through his schoolhouse designs,
and at one time engaged as a designer with the great firm of Daniel H. Burnham & Co., of Chicago and New York.
To Mr. Parker is to be given the credit for the architectural beauty of the San Jose State Normal School and the
Belmont Military Academy. Many other public buildings are monuments to his taste and ability. During the period
of his connection with the office Mr. Georgeson aided in designing the Northern California Bank of Savings at Marysville,
the Citizens' Bank of Winters and the Princeton Union high school. Two large competitions also engaged his attention,
namely: the Washington state capitol at Olympia and the San Francisco city hall. The originality of his work attracted
the attention of officials of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition Company and they retained him to make
the permanent drawings for the harbor view site and the Presidio reservation, besides giving into his charge the
responsible task of checking up the work of the parties in the field.
With these varied tasks, all giving promise of larger achievements in the future, Franklin Thompson Georgeson never
allowed himself to forget Humboldt county or Eureka, the city where he was reared, although he was born in San
Francisco February 24, 1889. Frequent visits kept alive his affection for the dear old associations and when it
became possible for him to engage in architectural work upon an independent basis he decided to return to Eureka.
During July of 1912 he returned to Humboldt county and after a brief period of association with F. W. Georgeson
in the management of the Laurel Lumber Company at Elinor he opened an office in Eureka for the practice of architecture.
Since then he has secured the privilege of designing a number of local works in process of development. The design
of the Humboldt county exhibit at the Panama-Pacific Exposition is an original creation of his own and will be
developed under the supervision of the Humboldt exposition commissioners, Messrs. W. S. Clark and James F. Coonan.
The offices of Mr. Georgeson are located in the Georgeson building at the corner of Fourth and E streets, and there
he is prepared to submit plans and specifications for any kind of architectural work. It is most fortunate for
Eureka, at this opening day of a new era of local development, that there should have come hither for practice
an architect so capable of guiding all future work in a noteworthy manner, making it worthy of the aspirations
of this western port and elevating it above the architectural mediocrity depressingly noticeable in many towns.
One of the best built cities in America credits its architectural supremacy to the genius of one man, and it is
the belief that Eureka, in its formative period, may be made architecturally beautiful through the talented guidance
of local architects, the impress of whose personality and artistic tastes will be left upon the generation in which
History of Humboldt County, California
With a Biographical Sketches
History by Leigh H. Irving
Historic Record Company
Los Angeles, California 1915
Humboldt County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium