IRVIN H. DREWRY. - A stopping place in high favor with automobilist who frequent the road between Willits, Mendocino
county, and Eureka, in Humboldt county, is the East View hotel. It is located on the Drewry ranch in southern Humboldt
county, about one and one half miles south of Harris, on the main line of travel in that region. The hotel and
ranch are owned and operated by Irvin H. Drewry and his sister, Miss Sarah E. Drewry, and though they took possession
at a recent date the popularity of the resort is already widespread. These young people have undertaken considerable
in their present venture, but they have made a beginning which promises well. Mr. Drewry has the principal care
of the ranch, and he has already made a reputation as a stockman, cattle buyer and drover. With the Drewrys resides
their maternal grandmother, Mrs. Sarah F. Williams, by whom they were reared, and who has been in California since
1852, having been brought to the state when three years old.
John P. Drewry, father of Irvin H. and Sarah E. Drewry, is a large landowner in the same vicinity, having a ranch
of fifteen hundred acres lying in Humboldt and Mendocino counties, which he rents at present, however, to Ed. Smith,
of Ukiah. He is now engaged as a captain of the guard at the Folsom City (Cal.) penitentiary. His first wife, whose
maiden name was Mary E. Williams, died when her two children were very young, Sarah but eighteen months old, Irvin
eleven days. Mr. Drewry remarried, and by his second union, to Mrs. Sarah Jane (Yeates) Hepburn, has one child,
Carl Perry, now (1914) thirteen years old.
Irvin H. and Sarah E. Drewry were born in Mendocino county, and as their mother died so young they were reared
by their maternal grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. James H. Williams, on their Leggett valley ranch, situated on the
south fork of the Eel river, about twenty miles due east of Rockport. They have had public school training, and
have continued to hold their interests in common, working together most satisfactorily. They made their first business
venture in 1910, when they began by keeping a lodging house and store in Ukiah. As it proved a success they undertook
more, renting a half interest in the McKinney ranch (a tract of nine hundred and sixty acres), which they operated
for two years. There they became quite extensively interested in cattle, keeping about one hundred head, as well
as a hundred hogs. It was there also that they had their first experience in the conduct of a summer resort, the
Hunter's Home on that property doing well under their management. In December, 1913, they purchased the East View
ranch and summer resort from Olive E. Snooks five hundred and twenty acres of land and the hotel located on the
highway as above related. After investing all their capital in this property these courageous young people still
have an immediate future full of busy promise. But they are cheerful, capable workers, and have every prospect
of carrying their enterprise along successfully. The hotel is a comfortable and restful resort, and its guests
partake of the best ranch products, fruits, vegetables, milk, cream and eggs noted for their high quality and freshness,
and cooked and served under the efficient supervision of Miss Drewry, whose culinary skill has already become known
to the patrons. Her competent oversight of all the details necessary to the comfort of guests contributes much
to their health as well as pleasure, and the wholesome restfulness of the place is one of its greatest attractions.
The patrons are principally automobilists.
As a ranchman Irvin H. Drewry is progressing notably. He has profited well by his varied experience in the stock
business, and is regarded as an exceptionally good judge of cattle and hogs, his own success being substantial
evidence of his all around knowledge in this particular line. He is a very tall man, six feet, six inches in height.
His industry and good ideas on ranch management have even in the brief time he has had his present property become
apparent, and his ambitions for its development along the most approved lines have already commenced to be realized.
There is a good home orchard and vegetable garden on the property, providing abundant supplies for the table. Mrs.
Williams retains all her interest in the welfare of her grandchildren, willingly advising and assisting in the
conduct of their affairs, and they thoroughly appreciate the substantial aid she has extended to help them take
advantage of their opportunities in their present enterprise. With the family an old friend, Mr. Mitchell, has
made his home for many years, and he has been most solicitous in encouraging Mr. Drewry and his sister in their
attempts to make a success of their work. Mr. Drewry is a Progressive in his political sympathies.
History of Humboldt County, California
With a Biographical Sketches
History by Leigh H. Irving
Historic Record Company
Los Angeles, California 1915
Humboldt County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium