W. H. HARRIS was born in North Carolina in 1858. His father, a native of England, and a miner by trade, emigrated
to Duquoin, Illinois, in 1859, and subsequently moved to Johnson County, Missouri, where he continued mining. Young
Harris took up the preliminary work of an engineer at the coal mines in Missouri, working about the hoisting engine.
In 1870 the family removed to Clay County, Kansas, where father and son followed farming until 1874, then coming
to California and settling in Fresno.
After locating in Fresno, W. H. Harris began teaming, and was employed in that way for one year, after which he
was variously occupied in and around Fresno three years. Then he went to the Champion Lumber Mills on Pine Ridge,
was engaged about the yard and in running the engine two seasons, and in 1883 returned to Fresno. At that time
he was appointed deputy constable, under John Barker; was also policeman, and was connected with the volunteer
His faithful services as a volunteer fireman were fully appreciated by the public, and, in July, 1889, he was engaged
as engineer of fire engine No 2, which position he still occupies. The engine is a double rotary Silsby, nickel
plated, and the hose wagon carries 1,000 feet of hose and two portable Halloway chemical extinguishers. The engine
house is located on K, between Inyo and Mono streets, and is well equipped with dormitories and social rooms for
Mr. Harris was married in Fresno in 1881, to Miss Sarah M. Sbanklin, a native of Iowa. They have three children,
Rena E., Leola E., and Edna E. In 1882 Mr. Harris built his home on N, between Merced and Tuolumne streets, where
he is pleasantly situated.
Memorial and Biographical History
of the counties of
Fresno, Tulare and Kern,
The Lewis Publishing Company
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium