HARRY W. PULCIFER
Among the able and widely known members of the Alameda county bar stands Judge Harry W. Pulcifer, of Oakland, in
which city he has practiced his profession for over thirty years, while during the past twelve years he has rendered
signal service as a justice of the peace, in which capacity he has earned an enviable reputation.
Judge Pulcifer was born in Maine in 1869 and is a son of Alexander and Velona Brown Pulcifer. His father, who also
was a native of that state, came to California, by way of the Isthmus of Panama in 1852 and was engaged in mining
for a while. In this he was fairly successful and in a few years returned to his home in Maine. On the outbreak
of the Civil war he volunteered his services in defense of his country, enlisting in the Sixteenth Regiment Maine
Volunteer Infantry, with which he served three years in the southland, taking part in a number of important battles,
and he was wounded twice. At the close of the war he was honorably discharged and returned to his home in Maine,
where he remained until 1876, in which year he again came to California, bringing his family with him and locating
in Oakland, where his death occurred in 1919.
Harry W. Pulcifer was about seven years of age when the family came to California and he received his educational
training in the public schools of Oakland, graduating from high school, after which he entered the law office of
Henry Vrooman, then one of the successful lawyers and prominent politicians of this city. After Mr. Vrooman's death,
Judge Pulcifer obtained employment in the accounting department of the Southern Pacific Railroad, where he remained
until 1894. During this period he devoted his spare time to the reading of law and on leaving the railroad he entered
the law office of Davis & Hill, who were at that time attorneys for the city of Oakland in its fight to control
the water front. Judge Pulcifer was admitted to the bar in 1897, after which he remained with that law firm for
about six months, and then engaged in practice alone, gaining quick recognition and building up a large clientele,
so that he was numbered among the successful lawyers of Oakland. In 1916 Judge Pulcifer was elected justice of
the peace of Oakland township, in which position he has served continuously to the present time, having been reelected
since 1918 without opposition. His is the busiest court in Alameda county. The civil business of the court is more
than the aggregate of all other courts in the county, and has returned to the county treasury many thousands of
dollars above the expenses of the court. Judge Pulcifer has always been actuated by a determination to dispense
justice and give a square deal to everyone appearing before him without regard to their station in life, with the
result that he commands to a marked degree the confidence of everyone who knows him.
Judge Pulcifer has always given his political support to the republican party and has taken an active interest
in city and county political affairs. He is a member of Oakland Lodge No. 188, A. F. & A. M.; Oakland Lodge
No. 103, K. P.; Oakland Lodge No. 171, B. P. O. E.; the Athenian Nile Club; Oakland Yacht Club; Athens Athletic
Club; Oakland Pyramid No. 2, A. E. Order of Sciots; Aahmes Temple of the Mystic Shrine; Oakland Aerie No. 7, Fraternal
Order of Eagles; Kiwanis Club; member of the executive committee of the East Bay Safety Council; Scottish Rite
bodies thirty second degree; Loyal Order of Moose; Oakland Chamber of Commerce; Brotherhood of Bison and the Sons
of Veterans. He is a man of sterling character, splendid personality and agreeable manner, and throughout the city
where he has spent the major portion of his life he commands public confidence and respect.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium