Charlie R. Nauert, of Alvarado, is numbered among the pioneers of California, having been a resident of this
state continuously since 1858, and, after a long and active career, is now enjoying life in well earned retirement.
He was born in Buffalo, New York, November 9, 1841, and is a son of .George P. and Catherine (Gammer) Nauert, the
former born in Buffalo, while the latter was a native of Germany. Mr. Nauert is of French descent in the paternal
line, his grandfather having come from France to this country late in the eighteenth century. From the seaboard
he went to Buffalo by way of the Erie canal, and in that city was employed as a mechanic in cotton mills. He was
a soldier in the war of the Revolution. George P. Nauert spent practically his entire life in Buffalo, where he
was engaged in farming.
Charlie R. Nauert attended the public schools of his native city and there learned the foundry business. In 1858,
when seventeen years of age, he started for California, coming by way of the isthmus of Panama, and thence by an
old side wheel steamer to San Francisco, where he arrived on March 17th. Soon afterwards he came to Alvarado, where,
with the exception of a short period spent in the mining regions of northern California, he has lived continuously
since. His first business venture here was in operating the American Exchange hotel, for four years, after which
he became connected with the George H. Tay Company, which was engaged in making stoves and everything else connected
with heating. Through his faithful and capable efforts, Mr. Nauert received deserved promotions, becoming manager
and later superintendent of the plant, and remained with that concern for forty seven years, advancing years eventually
prompting him to retire.
In 1875 Mr. Nauert was united in marriage to Miss Hattie H. Hyer, a daughter of August and Henrietta (Golestone)
Hyer, both natives of Germany. On his emigration to this country, Mr. Hyper made the long voyage around Cape Horn
to San Francisco and later went to the mines at Big Oak Flats. He afterward moved back to San Francisco, where
he was married and lived for awhile, and then, coming to Alvarado, he established the Empire bakery, which he ran
for twenty five years, when he retired, and he and his wife are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Nauert have five children,
Mildred, August B., Catherine, Oscana and Henry P. Mr. Nauert has always supported the republican party, having
cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln for president. The only public office he has held was that of game warden.
He retains a vivid recollection of the incidents of the early days of California's settlement, recalling the vigilance
committee of 1860 and its effective work in ridding the community of many of its lawless characters. On one occasion
Indians and half breeds killed a man, and the committee promptly captured and hung the half breeds. In 1870 boats
came up from the bay as far as Sugar Mill. The old foundry was built here in 1852 by S. Z. Harner, as a flour mill
and bought by Tay Company in 1869. The first flour mill in the state was established here, and the first beet sugar
manufactured in the United States was made here by H. Dyer. Mr. Nauert is a man of splendid personal qualities,
retaining his physical and mental vigor to a remarkable degree, and during all the years of his residence here
has commanded the unqualified respect and esteem of his fellowmen, for he has lived a consistent and upright life
and has supported those things which have tended to advance the best interests of the community.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium