For thirty five years Henry Meyer has been numbered among the progressive and successful business men of the Elmhurst
district of Oakland, of which locality he was a pioneer, and his prosperity is well merited, for he has in every
way kept pace with the growth of that section of the city and has given his patrons a high type of service. Mr.
Meyer was born in Germany August 3, 1869, a son of Claus and Geche (Purch) Meyer, both of whom are deceased, the
mother having died when her son was but eight years of age.
Henry Meyer attended the grade schools in his native land and when seventeen years of age came to the United States.
He did not speak or understand the English language and on arriving here began attending night school. For awhile
he was employed in Spreckel's sugar refinery, but later obtained a position as clerk in a grocery store, where
he learned the details of the business. Afterward he was employed for awhile in the liquor business, working in
the old Louvre in San Francisco. In 1893 he formed a partnership with a cousin, Claus Meyer, and engaged in the
grocery business in the Elmhurst district, which at that time was but sparsely settled, but gave promise of becoming
one of the populous sections of the city. Their store was located at 9336 East Fourteenth street and a very gratifying
measure of success attended their efforts, so that they continued the business there for twenty nine years, or
until the death of Claus Meyer, after which Mr. Meyer bought his cousin's interest. About 1922 the store was moved
to the corner of Ninety fourth avenue and East Fourteenth street, which property Mr. Meyer had acquired in the
early years of his business career, and there he remained until the property was sold to the Bank of Italy, when
he moved to 1424 Ninety fourth avenue, where he is still located. He carries a large and well selected line of
groceries, vegetables, fruits and grocers' sundries and by his prompt and courteous service he won and retains
his full share of the local business in his line.
Mr. Meyer was united in marriage to Miss Amic Hamilton, who is a native of Ireland but has long been a resident
of Oakland, where the marriage occurred. They are the parents of six children, namely: Annie, who is the wife of
Daniel Brown; Alma and Henry, who are associated with their father in the grocery business; Lurline, who is employed
in an insurance office in San Francisco; Marguerite and Charlie. There are also several grandchildren. Mr. Meyer
is a member of the Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Improved Order of Red Men and the Sons of Herman. He is a lover
of outdoor life and is especially fond of motoring, having driven to New Jersey, during which trip he crossed twenty
five states and covered ten thousand miles. He has shown deep interest in the progress and welfare of his city
and county and in every relation of life has proven well worthy of confidence and regard, while socially he is
extremely popular among his associates and friends.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium