Dan Marshall, who has for a number of years owned and operated the Foothill Service Station, at Estudillo avenue
and Foothill boulevard, San Leandro, is one of the best known and most popular residents of Alameda county and,
because of his progressive methods and square dealing, has built up a large and prosperous business.
Mr. Marshall was born in San Lorenzo, this county, on the 5th of October, 1877, and is a son of Joseph and Mary
Anna Marshall, both of whom were born in the Azores islands. On coming to this country, they first located in the
east, where they were married, but they came to California at an early day, settling in San Leandro during the
pioneer history of that place. There they spent their remaining years, the mother dying when seventy years of age
and the father at the remarkable age of one hundred and two years.
Dan Marshall spent his boyhood under the paternal roof and secured his education in the public schools. Since attaining
mature years he has always been in business for himself, excepting for a period of five years when he was employed
as foreman in the yards of the Best Tractor Company at San Leandro. He engaged in the grocery business at Fruitvale
for several years, after which he turned his efforts to the wholesale fruit and vegetable commission business,
with headquarters at 1027 Harris street, Oakland. While in that business he formed a wide acquaintance with the
fruit raisers, gardeners and farmers all over the county, an acquaintance which in later years has been greatly
to his advantage, as many of the patrons of his present establishment come far out of their way in order to give
him their business. The Foothill Service Station, which now requires his entire time and attention, has proven
a very successful enterprise, due to the painstaking care which he gives to the wants of his customers. He carries
Standard, Richfield and Shell oil and gas, gives free crank case service, carries a large line of tires, tubes
and accessories, and in connection with the station operates a neat and well equipped refreshment stand for the
convenience of the traveling public. Courteous, pleasant and accommodating, Mr. Marshall has made many warm friends
among his patrons, and his business is showing a steady and satisfactory increase.
In 1910, at San Leandro, Mr Marshall was united in marriage to Miss Rosa Matoza, a member of one of San Leandro's
early families, and they are the parents of four children, Evelyn, Harold, William and Elsie.
Mr. Marshall is a member of the I. D. E. S. He stands for all those things which tend to better living conditions
and advance the public welfare and is regarded as one of the up to date and public spirited citizens of his section
of the county, well worthy of the confidence and respect which are accorded him by his fellowmen.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium