Charles M. Long, who is now retired and lives in Oakland, was long actively identified with business pursuits
of varied character, in which he met with splendid success, so that he is now able to spend the twilight years
of his life in well earned leisure. Mr. Long was born in Sonoma county, California, on the 4th of December, 1855,
and is a son of Marcus C. and Sarah (Brown) Long, the former born near Nashville, Tennessee, and the latter in
Missouri. The father received his education in his home locality and was reared to farm life. In 1852, with ox
team and covered wagon, he crossed the plains to California, and subsequently made one trip back east, so that
he crossed the plains three times altogether. On first coming to this state he located at Suisun City, Solana county,
and taught the first school in that locality. In 1858 he went to Sonoma county, and four years later returned to
Solano county. After living there ten years, he moved to Lake county, California, and there ran the Bartlett Springs
Hotel for four years. In 1876 he located in Williams, Colusa county, where he established a hotel and livery stable,
which he ran for twenty one years, after which he moved to Stockton, where he gave his attention to the management
of apartment houses, which he owned. Later he again lived in Solano county, and then went to Santa Rosa, this state,
where his death occurred in 1917, at the age of seventy five years. He was married in Solano county, his wife's
family being among the first settlers of California.
Charles M. Long spent his boyhood years in Solano county, where he attended the public schools, and when eighteen
years old went to Lake county, where he kept books for his father and grandfather. Later he was with his father
in the hotel, livery and stage business at Williams, keeping the books for the several establishments, and finally
located at Santa Cruz, California, where he was connected with the Dupont Powder Company for several years. On
leaving that company he moved to Oakland in 1917, where he has since resided.
In 1887 Mr. Long was united in marriage to Miss Eugenia H. Guyer, a daughter of Philip and Johanna (Brockhauer)
Guyer, and to them have been born six children, Irene, Fay, Modell, Velma, Charles L., who served overseas during
the World war and for the past year has been with the Standard Oil Company at Pt. Richmond, Cal.; and Earl W.,
who is bookkeeper for the H. Moffat Company, wholesale butchers, in San Francisco. Mr. Long has for many years
been a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a man of kindly manner and all who know him hold him
in high regard, for he possesses to a marked degree the personal qualities which make for friendship and regard.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium