Biography of John E. Lloyd
Alameda County, CA Biographies





JOHN E. LLOYD
One of the largest and most completely equipped garages in Alameda county is the Oakland garage, which will compare favorably with any other in northern California. John E. Lloyd, president of Oakland Garage, Inc., has attained his present enviable position in the business world through the exercise of initiative, sound judgment and progressive methods. A native of Wales, he was born on the 4th of June, 1886, a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Roberts) Lloyd, who brought their family to Oakland, California, in 1890. Here the father's death occurred shortly afterward, while his widow still resides in this city.

John E. Lloyd had but little opportunity to attend school, for he started to earn his living at the age of eight years, working at such jobs as he could find. His first regular position was that of driver for a wholesale milk concern. Later he learned the trade of a harnessmaker, at which he worked for one man four years, then located in the Fruitvale district and opened a harness shop of his own, making the first set of harness for the Fruitvale fire department. He carried on his business for about three years, when he sold and became a fireman on the Southern Pacific railroad, following that line of work for two years. Sensing the importance of the rapidly developing automobile business, he quit railroading and, in partnership with his brother, Thomas H. Lloyd, established a small garage at 1425 Alice street. Business was slow at first and they had a hard time through the first lean years, but their good workmanship and square dealing gained them friends and their business steadily increased through the years until they were compelled to arrange for more room. Where originally stood their modest little garage, now stands a fine five story, concrete building, occupying the full block between Alice and Jackson streets, with an entrance on each street, everything connected with the business being under roof, with runways to the second floor. In 1922 the business was incorporated as the Oakland Garage, with John E. Lloyd as president and Thomas H. Lloyd, vice president. In 1923 H. C. Broderick became a member of the corporation. They have one hundred thousand square feet of space, providing for the accommodation of a large number of cars, and they maintain a completely equipped repair department, sell oil and gas and carry a full line of accessories, employing a large force of men. They are agents for the Auburn cars, of which they have sold a large number in Oakland and Alameda county.

Mr. Lloyd was united in marriage to Miss Carrie Morse, who is a native of Louisiana but was reared and educated in Oakland, and they are the parents of two children, John Evan, Jr., and Marjorie. Mr. Lloyd is a republican in his political views. He is a charter member of the Kiwanis Club and belongs to Oakland Lodge, No. 188, A. F. & A. M.; Oakland Consistory, A. A. S. R.; Aahmes Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. Though a busy man, he finds time for an occasional game of golf, and among his associates is extremely popular. He is a public spirited man, giving his earnest support to everything calculated to benefit his city in any way, and enjoys a high reputation for business ability and progressive methods.

From:
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Alameda County, CA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012