REV. OWEN LACEY
For the past eighteen years Rev. Owen Lacey has rendered noteworthy service as pastor of St. Leo's Roman Catholic
church, on Ridgeway street, in the Piedmont district of Oakland. Indeed, to his faithful ministrations and able
management may be largely attributed the splendid growth of the parish and its present healthy condition, and his
record here has gained for him the respect and esteem of the people of the community, regardless of creed or profession.
Father Lacey was appointed assistant pastor at St. Mary's church at Stockton, California, and his first pastorate
was at St. Ann's church at Lodi.. In 1910 he came to Oakland and built St. Leo's church in a district which at
that time was but sparsely settled. The congregation then comprised fifty families, but during the subsequent years
the church has enjoyed a steady and substantial growth until the congregation now numbers four hundred families.
In 1926 a new edifice was erected, at a cost of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, which is one of the most
beautiful Catholic churches in the Bay district. St. Leo's congregation is justifiably proud of their religious
home. It is planned to also erect a substantial school building on the grounds in the future. Father Lacey has
a well merited reputation as a fluent and effective preacher and has labored untiringly in the work of the parish,
in which he has been abundantly rewarded by the outstanding results.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium