Dominican Sisters
Alameda County, CA Biographies





DOMINICAN SISTERS
Among the religious educational orders in Alameda county, one of the most worthy is that of the Dominican Sisters, at Mission San Jose, whose two fold purpose is that of teaching and the training of teachers. The order has been established here for many years and the splendid work done has been a blessing to the community and an honor to the cause which it represents. The Dominican Sisters Congregation of the Queen of the Holy Rosary, the mother house of which is located at Mission San Jose, is an offshoot of the Convent of the Holy Cross, of Brooklyn, New York. On November 11, 1876, Sister Pia, Sister Amanda and Sister Salesia, of the Convent of the Holy Cross, arrived in San Francisco, California, to take charge of St. Boniface School. In 1890 they founded the convent at Mission San Jose, the building being dedicated by the Most Rev. P. W. Riordan, Archbishop of California. Rev. Mother Pia was the local foundress and the first prioress general. The order prospered and in 1926 the Sisters celebrated the golden jubilee of the founding of the order, at which time a beautiful shrine was erected and dedicated in the grounds of the convent, in memory of its foundries. The establishment was originally a parochial school for boys and girls, but in 1904 the boys were transferred to the school at Ukiah, Mendocino county, and in 1908 the girls were transferred to St. Mary's of the Palms, at Mission San Jose, at which time the convent became a training school for teachers, for which purpose it is still being used. The graduates of this school become teachers in the different parochial schools, for which work they receive special preparation, and thus a high grade of instruction is assured for the schools. At present there are forty-six students enrolled in the convent, and there is a faculty of six instructors, who, in addition to their work in the training school, teach religion on Sundays in the various churches and missions of the valley. The work of the Dominican Sisters has long been regarded as of great importance in both of its phases and is a most valuable adjunct to the great work of the church in this territory.

From:
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Alameda County, CA
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012