An enterprise of great importance to the building and construction operations of the East Bay district is the quarry
and rock crushing plant of Joseph Costello, at San Leandro. Mr. Costello was born at Torino, Italy, on the 14th
of October, 1883, and is a son of John and Fermina Costello, the former a farmer. To them were born five children,
three sons and two daughters, namely: Joseph, of this review; Louis, who lives in San Leandro and works for his
brother in the rock business; Angelo, who lost his life in battle during the World war; Orsola, who was married,
and died in Italy at the age of thirty years; and Mary, who is married and lives in Torino, Italy.
Joseph Costello secured what would be equivalent to a grammar school education in his native land and at the age
of twelve years went to work at the brick and cement construction business. In 1905, when twenty two years old,
he came to the United States, locating in the coal region of Virginia, where for two years he worked as a coal
miner. In 1907 he settled in Oakland, California, where he obtained employment at his trade, which he followed
until 1911, when he began contracting on his own account under the firm name of J. Costello. He did the cement
work for many foundations, and built a large amount of cement sidewalk, several large canneries and other important
structures in Oakland between 1907 to 1920, and in the latter year came to San Leandro, where he has resided to
the present time. Here he continued his former business, but has given particular attention to the development
of the crushed rock interests, in which he is meeting with success. On February 1, 1918, he bought the ten acres
of land and in 1924 thirty acres additional, on which is situated his quarry and which is a veritable mountain
of rock, five hundred feet high. It contains both red and blue rock. The harder blue rock lies deeper under the
surface and is reached by a ninety foot tunnel. Mr. Costello has erected powerful rock crushers, graders and bunkers
and is prepared to supply either kind of rock in any quantities on short notice. The crushed rock is graded into
six sizes and he operates four large trucks of his own and from five to seven hired trucks to deliver the rock.
He has supplied an enormous quantity of rock for various purposes throughout this section of the state and has
completed a large contract for cruched rock for the Oakland airport. He has practically an inexhaustible supply
of rock and is prepared to meet any demands made on him for either kind of rock.
In 1920, in San Francisco, Mr. Costello was united in marriage to Mrs. Eugenia Moschella, a native of Italy and
is a daughter of Philip and Josephine Moschella. She came to California in 1904 and is a lady of charming qualities
tactful and kindly in manner, and their home is characterized by hospitality and good cheer. They are the parents
of a daughter, Gloria, now a bright .and interesting little miss of six years. In 1926 Mr. and Mrs. Costello paid
a visit to their native land and greatly enjoyed meeting their old friends and visiting the scenes of their younger
days, but were glad to return to their American home. Three years ago they built their present attractive residence,
which overlooks San Leandro and San Francisco bay across to the peninsula of San Mateo county on the west, while
to the north in clear view is beautiful Lake Chabot, which is the source of water supply for San Leandro and other
East Bay cities. Mr. Costello is a man of marked business ability, exercising sound judgment in all of his operations,
and well deserves the title of self made man, for his present prosperity has been won through his persistent and
determined efforts. He is a man of progressive and enterprising spirit, square in all of his dealings, and commands
the respect and good will of all who know him.
History of Alameda County, California
BY: Frank Clinton Merritt
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co.
Chicago, Ill 1928
Alameda County, CA
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium