THE VALLEY BANK was organized in 1883 with a capital of $50,000, and Colonel William Christy as cashier. In
four years, however, the capital was increased to $100,000, and in 1890 Colonel Christy was chosen its president,
which position he held until the time of his death. At that time included in its directorate were E.
J. Bennitt, now president, and Lloyd B. Christy, now cashier. This bank occupies
the only exclusive banking building in the city, which is of colonial architecture and strictly modern in all its
appointments. It is constructed of reinforced concrete. During the life of The Valley Bank it has been the constant
aim of its management to aid in the up building of the state and city, and there one is accorded the utmost courtesy
in every department. In the five years elapsing from 1907 to 1912, the deposits of The Valley Bank increased from
less than $600,000 to more than two and one half millions, and having a capital and surplus of $250,000, The Valley
Bank is unquestionably the largest bank in the state. This was the first bank in Phoenix to open a savings department,
and for the five years in which this department has been in operation over seven hundred thousand dollars have
been deposited in it, and the depositors number over thirty five hundred, which is due evidence of public confidence
and appreciation. Its officers at present are: E. J. Bennitt, president; John R. Hampton
and John Ormsby, vice presidents; Lloyd B. Christy, cashier, and S.
H. Stewart and Lebbeus Chapman, assistant cashiers. These officers, with a strong
board of directors, and the confidence which the bank now enjoys insures for it many years of continued prosperity.
Who's Who in Arizona
Compiled and Published by Jo Conners
Press of The Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona 1913
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium