FRANK O. SMITH, judge of the Superior Court of Yavapai County, is a native of LaSalle County, Illinois. He is
the son of William H. Smith and Maria B. Smith, and began life on a farm near Ransom, Illinois, January 17, 1878.
His ancestry is Irish, Scotch, German and English. His early education was received in the country schools of Illinois.
At the age of fourteen, he entered the Northwestern Normal School at Genesee, and later the Academy of Knox College
at Galesburg, Illinois. where he was the successful contestant in the annual oratorical contest. For several years
he was a teacher in the public schools of his native county, and during vacation followed various lines of work
as a farmer, blacksmith and painter. In 1902 he entered Northwestern University at Chicago, Illinois. While in
the University he became the publisher of the university newspaper, published three times a week, and founded and
published The Northwestern Magazine, a monthly publication. In 1905 he was graduated from the College of Liberal
Arts with the degree of B. S. After graduation he served the university two years as graduate manager of athletics.
In 1907 he received the degree of M. A. from this University, and in the same year was graduated from the Law School
of Northwestern University, with the degree LL. B. He is a member of the Delta Sigma Rho fraternity, whose membership
is composed exclusively of those who have represented their universities in athletic and forensic contests. In
1903 he was a member of the Northwestern University debating team which won the championship in the Central Debating
League, being victorious in contests with the Universities of Chicago, Minnesota and Michigan. He is also a member
of the college fraternities, Delta Chi and Delta Tau Delta. He is a member of the American Society of International
Law, American Institute of Criminal Law and Criminology, American Bar Association, Arizona Bar Association and
Northern Arizona Bar Association. June 19, 1907, Judge Smith married Miss Emma Olwin of Evanston, Illinois. The
same year he came to Arizona, first locating in Tucson where he was a member of the faculty of the University of
Arizona, as instructor in history and economics. He was later elected assistant professor in that department, but
resigned this position to devote his time to the practice of the law. In his examination for admission to the bar
of Arizona, his average was the highest ever received by any applicant in the state. Several years ago he removed
from Tucson and located in Prescott, Arizona, where he acquired a large practice and gained a wide experience.
On December 12, 1911, he was elected to his present office.
Who's Who in Arizona
Compiled and Published by Jo Conners
Press of The Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona 1913
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium