THOMAS G. NORRIS, Attorney at Law, Prescott, is a native of Carroll County, Arkansas, where he was born at the
outbreak of the Civil War, and is the son of Jonathan and Jane Cannon Norris, who originally came from Tennessee.
His father was a successful planter, but lost everything through the Civil War. Thomas Norris was the seventh son
of a large family, received his early education in his native State, and owing to the dire results of the War,
was obliged to rely upon his own resources at an early age. He determined, however, to acquire an education, and
succeeded by means of his persistence. He entered the University of Iowa, where he completed the course in law,
and was graduated with the class of 1883. He began practicing his profession in Berryville, Arkansas, but remained
there only six months, and then decided to come to Arizona. Six months were spent in St. Johns, and he then removed
to Flagstaff and for a short time was in partnership with J. F. Wilson. That partnership being dissolved, he became
a member of the firm of Norris & Ellinvood, which continued until 1893, when he remoced to Prescott and became
associated in practice with J. C. Herndon. constituting a firm of the ablest attorneys in the Territory. Mr. Norris
is now engaged in practice with E. J. Mitchell, in the Prescott National Bank Building. As an attorney he holds
rank among the ablest in the State, and while in general professional work he has earned a reputation that is nut
limited to Arizona, his greatest strength and most extensive practice are in corporation and mining law. Having
surmounted many difficulties, he has the unbounded satisfaction of knowing that his success and the standing he
has achieved in the legal fraternity of the State have been attained by hard work, his own determination and energy.
In political affairs he has also been prominent. He was a member from Coconino County to the First Constitutional
Convention, and the following year was elected Councilman at large for the Territory, and was President of the
Council in 1893. He is a member of the Iasons, Knights Templar and Iystic Shrine, in each is one of the active
workers. In 1883 he was married to Miss Nannie E. Scarborough, of Berryville. Arkansas, who died in 1894, leaving
him a family of four children. In 1899 he was again married to Miss Laura W. Sharpe, of Toronto, Canada. Several
years ago he became interested in the subject of general road improvement, and it was largely through his efforts
that the State Road Association was organized, when he was elected its president, which office he still holds.
He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the National Highway Association. Mr. Norris thinks that one of
the best investments for State or Nation is a system of permanent highways, and is a persistent and enthusiastic
advocate of this cause, in which his interest and energy have proven a strong impetus for general improvement.
Mr. Norris is never too busy to go to the remote corners of the State to attend meetings or conventions, in the
interests of good roads, and was one of a party who made a trip over Arizona, visiting every county in the State
to secure necessary information about automobile trips for the National Highway Association. In the realization
of his ambitions, the one that has proven to him the most gratifying investment of his life has been the education
of his children, his oldest daughter having been graduated from Smith College, Northampton, Iassachusetts, his
second daughter from National Park Seminary. near Washington, D. C., and his two sons being now students at Yale.
Who's Who in Arizona
Compiled and Published by Jo Conners
Press of The Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona 1913
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium