The Consolidated National Bank, Tuscon, Az
Arizona Biographies





THE CONSOLIDATED NATIONAL BANK, Tucson. is the oldest and largest bank in the city, and in its history is interwoven a portion of the history of many of the ablest financiers in the Southwest. The first bank in Tucson was The Pima County Bank, organized in the early seventies, which subsequently became known as The First National Bank of Tucson. The Bank of D. Henderson was later organized, and in 1887, The First National Bank of Tucson, having surrendered its charter some years previous and become The Bank of Tucson. was merged with the bank of D. Henderson, and thus was formed the Consolidated Bank of Tucson. M. P. Freeman, who had been cashier of The Bank of D. Henderson, was instrumental in this consolidation and became cashier of the newly formed bank, while Mr. B. M. Jacobs, organizer of The Pima County Bank, and until recently president of The Arizona National Bank, was the first president, and Mr. D. Henderson, first vice president. Shortly afterwards a national charter was obtained and the name changed to The Consolidated National Bank, by which it is now known. In 1898, owing to ill health, Mr. Freeman retired from The Consolidated National Bank, and the following year, having fully recuperated, was one of the prime movers in the establishment of the Santa Cruz Valley Bank. In 1895 he again became associated with The Consolidated National Bank as its vice president. At that time H. E. Lacy was president, and H. B. Tenney, cashier. On Mr. Lacy's retirement from the presidency, Mr. Freeman was elected to this position, which he continued until late in the year 1910. During the latter year, Mr. Charles E. Walker, now cashier, was first employed with this institution as assistant to President Freeman, and at the close of the year on the latter's retirement, a reorganization of the officials followed, when Albert Steinfeld became president, Epes Randolph vice president, and Charles E. Walker, cashier. During Mr. Freeman's later association with The Consolidated National Bank his influence on its development was material both in a personal way and as regards the benefits derived from his superior knowledge of financial affairs, sound judgment, and general executive ability. The Board of Directors of this institution includes the above named officials, Mr. Freeman, F. H. Hereford, Charles H. Bayless and Leo Goldschmidt.

The Consolidated National Bank is a U. S. Depositary and continues to grow with most gratifying results. Its last statement, dated Feb. 4, 1913, shows total resources amounting to considerably more than two millions, and deposits of almost one and three fourths millions. The capital stock of the bank is $100,000, with a combined surplus and undivided profits of $150,000.

While sound banking principles and reliability are the keynote of the success attained by The Consolidated National Bank, its continuous policy of employing thoroughly capable assistants in each department, and of according to the public the utmost courtesy, has been a valuable aid toward this end.

From:
Who's Who in Arizona
Vol 1
Compiled and Published by Jo Conners
Press of The Arizona Daily Star
Tucson, Arizona 1913


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Arizona
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012